Paisely right on trend




With this long lived revival of everything vintage in many leading shops on the high street, I can't help but be drawn in by the now as fashionable as ever paisley design. It's rich and loud pattern hints at a lavish and decadent past but with the twists in colour and the varied looseness of the design, revives a design that was perhaps worn and lived in the furnishings of grandparents houses. After a trip to the University library I found an article in Bloom Magazine, Bloomsbury Issue 12 about innovative traditions saying that 'we want unique things, because we want to be unique' but that as a designer we should pay homage to designs of the past but also reinvent them; perhaps through controversial methods or just by changing the colour scheme. Although I found that whilst these reinvented dressed down or up designs of paisley, in neon shades or mock interpretations, few held the same rich beautiful ombre and muted tones that I am so fond of in this particular pattern. Which made me think that perhaps with high street's vintage innovation, the styles that were unique no longer hold the potential to allow the individual who possesses the wallpaper, clothing or bedding to be unique because they are so popular.

SĂ–TBLOMSTER Quilt cover and 2 pillowcases IKEA Concealed press studs keep the quilt in place.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10258443/

:
http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Skater-Skirt-in-Bright-Paisley-Print/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3116476&SearchQuery=paisley&sh=0&pge=4&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Multi

Absolutely adore this 70's print, with the fantastic intricate woven pattern and some 1930 eclectic browns and muted pastels make it rather delicate and rich. It rather similar to a skirt I bought from Age UK a few months ago with its earthy autumnal style. Which reminded me of drawings of foliage we did in the studio module last week.

A brown paisley 70s style design pattern Stock Photo - 9583982

http://www.123rf.com/photo_9583982_a-brown-paisley-70s-style-design-pattern.html

I would love to try and invent my own repeat paisley inspired pattern in Adobe Photoshop once I get a little more used to the tools working as drawing implements. Last week we were testing out the techniques for drawing foliage and hopefully its not just beginner's luck that I was able to work rather successfully ( even if rather slow) on recreating an ivy leaf. Can't wait till I will just be able to draw it exactly how I would if it was with a pencil on paper.






















Comments

Popular Posts